I feel dreadful -- probably got sick standing outside Pulse waiting for the shuttle to the Armory that never arrived, so here are my recommendations sans links before I'm off to bed. Images will be on flickr soon.
Top pick: Ivin Ballen's sculptures at Winklemen. Ed has made quite a discovery.
Also, go to the men's room to witness Jade Townsend's installation in a bathroom stall. I hope to upload a video with sound later.
- Bitforms - Mark Napier inkjet print plus a software-driven video
- Ruben Kindermans's minimalist performance videos -- like a stripped-down John Bock -- at Annie Gentils. You might have to ask to see them, so do that when you visit the booth.
- Chad Robertson (I wrote about his sexy zombies in the past) oils on paper, Heather Cantrell photos, and Wendy Heldmann (especially the works on paper) at sixspace
- Bari Ziperstein collages at Bank
- Shaun O'Dell's gouache on paper work, Brad Tucker's sculpture, and Gilad Efrat's painting at Inman
- Pretty much everything at Pavel Zoubok -- May Wilson, Christopher Tanner, Stefan Saffer, Ginnie Gardner, Thomas Lanigan-Schmidt -- the most shiny and baroque booth!
- Tilman Peschel photos at Anne de Villepoix
- Chris Duncan painting and editioned zine at Jeff Bailey
- Stephen Brandes at Rubicon
- Elana Blasco mixed media on acetate sheets at Galeria Fucares
- Sam Dargan's political/conspiratorial paintings at Rokeby
- David Humphrey paintings at Keith Talent
- Brody Condon's video game meets Flemish religious painting work at Virgil de Voldere